Munich. SFB 128 researcher Elisabeth Schuh, MD, has been honoured by a young scientist’s studentship within the KKNMS SEED program. In her project „The role of the NLRP3 inflammasome in multiple sclerosis and experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis“, Dr. Schuh analyses the influence of the NLRP3in MS. NLRP is a cytosolic protein complex in monocytes, macrophages and neutrophil granolucytes that regulated the production of inflammatory cytokines of the interleukin-1 family. In her project, Dr. Schuh wants to identify the population of myeloid cells involved in MS pathogenesis, with the aim of finding new pathways for therapeutic intervention that prevent autoimmune tissue damage.
The SEED program addresses scientists younger than 32 years who have not yet completed their medical training. The maximum funding is 32.000 € or 75 percent of the project’s budget. The remaining 25% have to be paid by the stipend’s employee.

News

Thu, 28/01/2021
BioNTech Publishes Data on Novel mRNA Vaccine Approach to Treat Autoimmune Diseases in Science
BioNTech SE (Nasdaq: BNTX, “BioNTech” or “the Company”) announced the publication of preclinical data on its novel mRNA vaccine approach against autoimmune diseases in the peer-reviewed journal Science. The publication titled “A non-inflammatory mRNA vaccine for treatment of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis” co-authored by SFB principal investigator Ari Waisman summarizes the findings on the disease-suppressing effects […]...more
Wed, 20/01/2021
A new study on neurological manifestations of severe COVID-19 reveals nervous system immune deficiency
Patients suffering from COVID-19 can develop concomitant and long-term symptoms in their nervous system. The most common symptom in this context is the loss of the sense of smell and taste, while more severe symptoms such as stroke, cerebral seizures, or meningitis are possible. A team of scientists from the medical faculties at the Universities […]...more
Fri, 15/01/2021
Sunlight exposure exerts immunomodulatory effects to reduce multiple sclerosis severity
It has long been acknowledged that multiple sclerosis disease risk is associated with reduced sun-exposure, and subsequent low vitamin D levels. The study by Ostkamp et al. now assessed the relationship between measures of sun exposure and MS severity. For this, the researchers analyzed data of around 2,000 patients from the German NationMS- and the […]...more